17.5.11

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Sunday morning, 9am.
I'm still laying in bed when I get a text from my roommate that went something like this "Yo, our license plates were stolen ... lol." I get out of bed, go outside and sure enough my license plate was gone. Not sure what to do I went back inside and I did what any modern day American would do, I googled "what do I do if my license plate was stolen?" The common consensus was to report it to the police (didn't see that one coming). So I walked to the police sub-station near my house. It turns out that the sub-station isn't open on the weekends and I didn't feel that this was an emergency, just an inconvenience, so I didn't bother calling 911. I'd leave it til the station opened on Monday.

Monday morning, 9am.
My roommate and I leave the house to walk to the sub-station. I couldn't really remember what time it opened, so when I saw a patrol car rolling down our street I flagged him down. I explained that our plates were stolen and asked what time the station opened. He ignored my questions by immediately asking if one of the plates belonged to a Pennsylvania Honda. I fessed up that, yeah, I own a Honda with PA plates. He then tells us to hop in the back of his car because my plate is around the corner. We hop in the back and let me tell you the back seat of a cop car is not made for 6'5'' males and it's just hard plastic back there. Not comfortable in the least! We're in the car for literally a minute when the officer pulls up beside two other patrol cars and behind a brand new, silver 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee ... with my plate on it!

Turns out that there was a car heist in Greece, NY early morning Sunday in which the thieves stole five cars out of a dealership. And, of course, my plate was put on one of those cars and is now being held as evidence. I'll get it back, it's just going to be a few days. More incentive to ride my bike everywhere!

On a side note, everyone I dealt with on the RPD and Greece PD were super helpful and polite even with something as inconsequential as a stolen license plate.
I was impressed.

1 comment:

  1. Always very interesting to see how God works things out in the end. Glad you got your plates back. And I know what it's like to ride in the back of car, on that hard plastic...

    ReplyDelete