12.8.11

click here for the interactive google map


For those of you that know me personally, you'll know that I've been talking, pretty much, incessantly about this world trip I'm planning. At this moment, I've put the stereotypical American life (birth - elementary school - middle school - high school - college - career - death) on hold and am pursuing this dream 100%. I've 'graduated' from college and a working a job (not a career) to save up for this. The current plan is to work for a year, saving as much money as possible and to leave on this trip late summer/early autumn 2012.

The map above is what I currently plan on doing and I'm looking for more suggestions.
Here's what I have so far:

N. America
Rochester, NY - Hershey, PA - Washington D.C. - Hot Springs, AR (Katie!) - San Antonio, TX (Sarah!) - Nuevo Laredo, Mexico - Mexico City, Mexico - Oaxaca, Mexico (?) - Tapachula, Mexico

Central America
Guatamala City, Guatamala - San Salvador, El Salvador - Managua, Nicaragua - San Jose, Costa Rica - Panama City, Panama (Karla!)

S. America
Bogota, Colombia - Quito, Ecuador - Lima, Peru - Cuzco, Peru (Incan Trail to Manchu Pichu!) - Vina del Mar, Chile - Santiago, Chile - Torres del Paine, Chile - Ushuaia, Argentina (southernmost city in the world!) - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Europe
Dublin, Ireland - London, UK - Paris, France - Milan, Italy - Florence, Italy - Venice, Italy - Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia - Dubrovnik, Croatia - Meteora, Greece

Middle East
Jerusalem, Israel

Africa
Cairo, Egypt (pyramids!) - Nimule, S. Sudan - Jinja, Uganda - Singida, Tanzania - Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Asia
Jodhpur, India - Jaipur, India - Agra, India (Taj Mahal!) - Kathmandu, Nepal (Annapurna Circuit) - Pyin Oo Lwin, Myanmar - Chiang Mai, Thailand - Bangkok, Thailand

AustralAsia
Gladstone, Australia - Brisbane, Australia - Sydney, Australia - Melbourne, Australia - Invercargill, New Zealand - Dunedin, New Zealand - Christchurch, New Zealand - Wellington, New Zealand - Auckland, New Zealand

N. America
Los Angeles, CA

So what am I missing? What should I definitely see or do before I die? I'm also actively looking for people to come with me whether it be for the whole thing or only a section.

Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Big props, Joel. I'm wicked jealous.

    South Sudan is an excellent choice; so is Jinja. I have a friend who lives in or near Kampala if you want an introduction. I stayed at his family's farm a few years ago (he was a student at UR).

    In Chile, you can very easily get some great hiking. From Santiago, a city bus will get you near the snowpeaks of the Cajon del Maipo. I got buzzed by a condor while hiking there (my wife studied abroad in Chile when we were dating).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great! I need as many connections as possible! I'm waiting til this all gets a little closer before I start contacting people, but hit me up at joelwitwer at gmail with some more info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with tons of South Sudanese and can def get you connections there, if not volunteer jobs. I also have friends in many other places. And if you're going to Agra, India, you might as well go to Pakistan. At least see the changing of the guard at the Waga Border. Pakastanis definitely beat Indians in coolness there, though, so I recommend Pakistan side. Also, the temple in Yangon. Literally tons of gold and gems. I think it has the most or second most amount of gold in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome Joel. In North America, Colorado is AWESOME! Northern California is also sick and the Oregon Coast is fantastic. As for Africa, Kenya is great. I know people in Kenya if you end up needing a contact in East Africa. I see your going to Tanzania! Any thoughts about climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro? Of course that might require some physical preparation but it is something that I would love to do some day!

    ReplyDelete